This recipe is sponsored by Udi’s Gluten Free, a year long partner of Heartbeet Kitchen.
There’s a secret to making this velvety sweet potato curry soup without cream. And not by way of the usual suspects — cashews, yogurt, white potatoes, beans, or coconut milk.
It’s bread! Something most of us always have on hand (in our house, it’s Udi’s Gluten Free Hearty Whole Grain bread, which I’ve used here). I’m still in complete awe over the silky mouthfeel and rich flavor that developed as I worked on this recipe. The soup comes together with just a few ingredients, including one of my favorite combinations – sweet potatoes and curry.
By pouring hot broth over the bread cubes, they quickly soften and get pureed with the well roasted sweet potatoes, garlic, salt, and curry powder. It has warmth, depth, and a texture that you’d swear came from cream. Luxurious…….
I like to top this soup with toasted black sesame seeds and a little green onion, or crunchy pepita seeds and cilantro. And really, I imagine you can use this hot broth + bread ratio with any roasted vegetable, meaning the possibilities are endless. I have plans to do this next week with cauliflower and leeks!
A few notes:
- This soup will last three days after it’s made, so it works well to make it at the beginning of the week and pack for lunch.
- A high speed blender is best (I love my Blendtec), and will yield the creamiest soup.
- I always use low sodium vegetable broths so I have more control over the salt, which I highly recommend.
Press play on video to see how easy it is to make!
video collaboration with the talented Annie D’Souza
Velvety Sweet Potato Curry Soup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roast sweet potatoes on a sheet pan for 45-50 minutes, until completely soft and releasing caramelized liquid. Set aside.
- Heat broth to boiling on stovetop. Then add cubes of bread to a high speed blender and pour hot broth over the top, carefully. Let sit for 2 minutes. Remove sweet potatoes from skin. Add flesh to blender and discard skin. Add garlic, curry powder, and salt. Blend on high speed for 20 seconds. Scrape down sides. Blend on high for 45 seconds, until completely smooth.
- Pour into bowls and top with garnishes.
*This post contains Amazon affiliate links.