This cheesy Buffalo Cauliflower Dip recipe is a vegetarian take on this classic hot dip! You won’t miss the chicken, promise. Serve this game day appetizer with tortilla chips or fresh veggies.
This recipe is sponsored by Tillamook, a year long partner of Heartbeet Kitchen. I’ve used their Farmstyle Thick Cut Mexican 4-Cheese Shreds here, which is one of my favorites for party dips!
There’s a crockpot buffalo chicken dip that makes an appearance at nearly every family gathering I’m at, originally inspired by buffalo wings. The recipe goes something like shredded chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, and hot sauce. It’s addicting, and I’m not mad about it.
But let’s take that buffalo dip into vegetarian territory with caramelized cauliflower, and get reeeeaallll cheesy. Extra hot sauce, diced celery and green chiles, plus big shreds of Tillamook Mexican 4- Cheese bubbling on top. Plus, the entire thing is made in ONE PAN. You with me?
It’s a game-day must, as we enter the season of weekend football. And I am so ready to cheer for my Minnesota Vikings, despite living in the land of the Packers.
Making Buffalo Cauliflower Dip
To add extra flavor to the cauliflower, you’ll sauté it until caramelization happens, adding extra depth and better texture to the overall dish.
Let’s be honest — the best part about wings is the SAUCE, so it’s really not a big deal to lose the chicken here. Cauliflower is a great stand-in, absorbing the sauce like a dream.
I love making and serving dips in a cast iron skillet when I’m entertaining because one less dish to clean, and the cheese gets perfectly crispy and bubbly. This skillet white chicken chili dip is my reader’s favorite! You can easily make everything ahead of time too, and then just pop it in the oven.
What’s the best buffalo sauce to use?
Although the brand of hot sauce you use is entirely up to you (Frank’s, Texas Pete, Tabasco, Cholula — the list goes on), Chololu has that classic Buffalo wing flavor, adding a peppery, vinegary tang and just the right amount of heat. It’s what I use in every buffalo sauce recipe, and it’s never let me down.
Is this buffalo cauliflower dip keto or low carb?
It is! Bonus points for the extra cheese. ☺
Can I use riced cauliflower?
I haven’t tried that yet, but I imagine it would work if you caramelized it as the cauliflower florets are in this recipe. If you make the recipe this way, let me know in the comments!
If you make this Buffalo Cauliflower Dip, be sure to tag me on instagram with hashtag #heartbeetkitchen or @heartbeetkitchen!
- 1 1/2 pounds cauliflower florets, cut small
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced mild green chiles
- 2/3 cup buffalo style hot sauce, I prefer Cholula
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 package Tillamook Farmstyle Thick Cut Mexican 4-Cheese Blend Shredded Cheese
- Green onions and cilantro for garnish
- Celery and tortilla chips for serving
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In a 9-inch cast-iron or ovenproof skillet, toss the cauliflower with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and cook on the stovetop over high to steam, 5 minutes.
- Uncover the skillet, add celery and green chilies, and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is caramelized in spots, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the hot sauce, to coat cauliflower, and simmer for about 2 minutes until sauce is mostly absorbed.
- Turn off the heat, then stir in the cream cheese and sour cream until combined. Add 1/2 cup Tillamook shreds, and stir again.
- Top with remaining shreds, and bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove, and sprinkle with green onions and cilantro, serve immediately.