Hi friends! Welcome to The Friday Five, where I’ll be sharing really delicious, really efficient recipes with just 5 ingredients (oil, salt & pepper don’t count, The Kitchn says so ;) – every week. I’m holding myself to it, loving the idea of a routine, and looking forward to helping you cook better at home with streamlined ideas.
I totally appreciate recipes with more ingredients, or the experience of making something that requires patience. But I also have an affinity for meals/snacks/desserts that are typically budget friendly, fewer things to prep, fewer dishes to wash – yet wholesome. Win-win-win. Cooking doesn’t have to be complicated to be worthy of the “this is in one of the best things I’ve eaten in a while.”
Before this series had a name (it took some help via girls night to decide) I shared a 5 ingredient Sweet Beet Yogurt Bowl with Granola and now I’m adding a savory suggestion to your morning meal with these juicy Mango Chicken Breakfast Sausages. They’re just as irresistible as the ones you grew up eating at the local diner, but reinvented with a little less grease and more diverse flavors. And don’t be fooled – the brown bits on top aren’t burnt, that’s the caramelization of natural sugars from the mango leading to a nice crust that holds in all the juices from the chicken.
This simple recipe is lightly adapted from my friend Heather Christo’s beautiful new cookbook, Pure Delicious. (The only thing I changed was taking out the dehydrated potato flakes and using a few more ounces of chicken, and also swapped serrano chiles for chili flakes since they were in my cabinet.) I started reading her blog years ago when I discovered my issues with gluten, and Heather’s story helped me realized that cooking allergy friendly can be just as delectable and beautiful as any meal. Her family suffers from multiple allergies, like gluten, soy, dairy, and eggs, yet the recipes in her cookbook (and on her blog) would have anyone begging for seconds. Her philosophy really aligns with mine, with a focus on whole foods and straightforward preparation, and putting things on the table that everyone will enjoy – allergy or not.
If you’ve got a hunch that your body isn’t quite jiving with some of the things you’re eating (or your kids), Pure Delicious will help guide you get through the process of identifying triggers through elimination, the adjustment to a kitchen that supports you, and best of all – over 100 amazing recipes that have flavor and pizazz (and a whole chapter on pizza!). Heather walks you through an 8 week plan to help you get through the transition, because let’s be honest – any time we change the way we eat, we’re changing a big part of ourselves, emotionally and behaviorally.
Her recipe for breakfast sausages caught my eye because I’m always looking for fun ways to add protein in the morning. They have a great sweet/savory balance and they’re simple to make, and once you’ve cooked them, you can keep in the fridge for several days. I used a blend of ground white & dark meat to keep them nice and juicy from a little extra fat, and helps hold them together. Onions, chives and red pepper flakes round out the ingredient list, but play around with different herbs if you’d like. And in the fall, I think I might swap apples for the mango. Not just for breakfast, they’re a delicious addition to salads as well.
To dig into Heather’s book, Pure Delicious, you can watch the trailer here, and buy it for your kitchen! Enjoy the weekend, and I hope you join me each week for this The Friday Five column. If you make any of the recipes, make sure to tag them with #TheFridayFive on Instagram! xo
- 2 teaspoons plus 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup very finely diced onion
- 1 pound ground chicken (I used ¾ pound white meat, ¼ pound dark meat - you can ask for it this way at the butcher counter)
- ½ cup finely diced fresh mango
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- In a heavy skillet, heat the 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes until soft and tender.
- Scrape onion into a medium bowl and let cool for 5 minutes. Add chicken, mango, chives, red pepper flakes and salt. Using clean hands, mix everything together, making sure to get the mango distributed throughout.
- Using wet hands, form the chicken into 8 equal sized patties, pushing down to flatten a little bit and laying on parchment paper.
- Heat the same skillet over medium high heat and add remaining oil. Gently place patties in the pan, in batches if needed for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown on each side and cooked through.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links, which I may make a small commission from should you decide to purchase.