Today, I’m taking a hot minute to gush over this fluffy waffle recipe, topped with ice cream and tahini hot fudge.
Leave it to a girls weekend, tucked away in a northern cabin, to take a chance on waffles for dessert — and later, vow to have them annually at our little escape from the real world. BECAUSE YUM.
It all starts with fluffy waffles, gluten-free to boot, made with teff flour and yogurt for a soft, cakey texture. The teff has this delicious, malty flavor that smells just as good as it tastes. The scent reminds me of walking into an old fashioned ice cream shop! And the flavor is reminiscent of a waffle cone.
Maybe that’s where the idea to make these into ice cream sundaes began?
These waffles are super versatile, and just as good for breakfast with traditional maple syrup and butter. Or almond butter and jam, like these ones.
But for an indulgent treat, Alanna and I turned them into dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, her genius Vegan Tahini Hot Fudge (she posted the recipe here!), and toasted hazelnuts for crunch. The chocolate sauce is warm and smooth, with hints of sesame.
The steamy waffles and hot fudge melt the ice cream, vanilla milk spilling into each square. Dessert heaven.
A few notes for this recipe:
- You can freeze leftover waffles and reheat in the oven or toaster on busy mornings, or when a midnight dessert craving strikes.
- Sarah brought this stovetop Belgian waffle maker, and it works great. Just make sure to spray the surfaces with some avocado or coconut oil before adding batter.
- The batter will be thick, and that’s how it is supposed to be. Just use a spatula to lightly spread it out in the waffle maker before closing the top.
- What ingredient makes these waffles extra fluffy? A small amount of cornstarch!
If you make this Fluffy Waffle Recipe, be sure to tag me on Instagram with hashtag #heartbeetkitchen, or @heartbeetkitchen!
- 1/2 cup teff flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- top with: ice cream
- Tahini Hot Fudge
- and toasted hazelnuts
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together wet ingredients, until smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry, and stir until no flour streaks remain.
- Let batter sit while heating your waffle iron.
- When waffle iron is hot, add a heaping 1/2 cup batter and cook until edges are crispy. Do not overcook, or the waffles will be a bit dry.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and tahini hot fudge!