Posted by https://heartbeetkitchen.com/2016/canningpreserving/pickled-kumquats-pink-peppercorns/
© 2016 Heartbeet Kitchen. All rights reserved.
Pickled Kumquats with Pink Peppercorns
- 8 ounces kumquats, halved (the little seeds aren't even noticeable when eating so you can leave them in)
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon whole pink peppercorns
- Pinch salt
- In a large pot, cover the mandarinquats with cold water by 1 inch and bring to boil that cannot be stirred down.
- Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer until the mandarinquats can easily be pierced with a wooden chopstick, about 30 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Drain the mandarinquats, discarding their cooking liquid. Set them aside in a separate bowl.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, ground ginger, pink peppercorns, and salt in your preserving pot and begin to bring to a boil over high heat. (You can use the same one that you just simmered the fruit in.)
- Stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. Once they’re dissolved, add the fruit and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Ladle the kumquats into the prepared half-pint jars, evenly distributing them between the 2 jars and leaving ½ -inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and wipe rims. Place the lids on the jars and screw on the bands until they are fingertip tight.
- Process in a water-bath canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude if needed.
- After 24 hours, check the seals. Label, date, and store out of direct sunlight without the bands for up to a year.