Posted by Amandapaahttp://heartbeetkitchen.com/2016/canningpreserving/fermented-beets-with-cumin-and-basil/
© 2016 HeartBeet Kitchen. All rights reserved.
Fermented Beets with Cumin and Basil
or 5 small beets (1 pound) -- I used chiogga beets, the pink & white ones, and gold beets.
teaspoons (3.5 grams) cumin seeds
tablespoon (18 grams) kosher salt
cups filtered water (not tap water!)
cup whole basil leaves
- Slices the beets into ¼ inch slices.
- Put the cumin seeds in the bottom of two pint jars and stack the beets on top.
- Mix the salt into the water until dissolved, then pour brine into jars until beets are just covered. (If you need to add a little more filtered water, that is okay.)
- Submerge your veggies with a vessel, like another jar that fits inside, and cover these.
- Place jars on small plate and allow to ferment at room temperature (65-78 degrees F) for 1 to 2 weeks.
- Once you're happy with the flavor and acidity, remove the weights and pack basil into each jar. Put lid on and refrigerate. After two days remove the basil (or it will spoil). Enjoy! These will last up to 3 months in the refrigerator.